Search This Blog

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Coffee Table/Personal Transformation

I LOVED this project! I completed this several months ago while going through a rough time.
I have experienced a lot of change recently and I think that the transformation of this coffee table symbolizes what I have been through.  Before I could complete the project I have to first sand away the old and smooth the surface, then give it new life.  I also love the transformation from dark to pure white, which is what we become after making the Lord a part of our life....pure.

 I LOVED this project.
$15 find on Craigslist


Sand the furniture.  If you would like to restain the piece then strip the varnish first.  I was going for a worn look and wanted a little of the wood to show through. Use an electric hand sander for the top/bottom and a piece on it's own to get all the nooks and crannies. I bought a few different kinds of hand sanding foam blocks....Doing it on my own by hand was best.

 Paint the color you want...be sure to make all the strokes the same way (the direction of the wood grain is best).  I did 2-3 coats of white, allowing 24 hrs dry time between coats.  I topped with 2 coats of polyurethane to give a wipeable surface. 

If you want more interest in your piece, you can always modge podge a favorite scrapbook paper that matches your decor or pictures then cover with the polyurethane.

No comments:

Post a Comment