Search This Blog

Friday, September 9, 2011

Perfect end to the week...

I was nearly brought to tears this afternoon....

My ED (emotionally disturbed) kiddo and usually MAJOR behavior problem had a PERFECT day!!
Chris* is a 5th grader that has daily tantrums, crying like a baby, melt downs...everything imaginable.  He has a BIP (Behavior Intervention Plan) and checks in with me every morning and every evening.  We've only have him for 2 weeks and have already seen improvements in behavior (Mindy and Stephanie may disagree with me...but compared to how he started...it's been good girls!)  He came to my room this afternoon with his behavior chart COVERED in checks  and smiley faces!!  Not a single bad comment! I squealed...literally squealed in the hallway and gave him a huge hug!  I went crazy! I let him pick out several prizes from my box, and then proceeded to "show him off" to everyone in the school...my teammate, his teachers, the principal, the bus duty staff (who dealt with a meltdown yesterday)!! I mean I was marching down the hallway with his paper in my hand! By the  time I finally got him to his bus line I was near tears!!

Poor Mindy and Stephanie have been doing such a great job handling his melt downs, tantrums, crying, throwing things....so shout out to them!  They are such an amazing 5th grade team! Amazing classroom management and ability to work with students of all types!  I have LOVED working with them this last year and am excited for another! I love watching them teach and interact with the students!

The troublemakers in our school tend to be my favorite...I think it's because when they DO make progress it is always SO big! And to be able to deliver positive to a kid that is used to always hearing the negative and how terrible they are is so rewarding! I have some wonderful kiddos that I feel like I've gotten through to and the hardest part is always when they have to leave me.  These kids are usually the ones who move in and out of schools frequently...you just never think anyone can do as good of a job as you.  No one will love them or invest in them as much as you.  I had a family come through our school last year.  5th grade girl who has been on anti-depressants since she was in 2nd grade and was supposed to be in 6th.  A 3rd grader with what is currently just labeled as ADHD (but needs a psych eval).  They were taken from their mom by CPS and have been living with the same woman for the last several years.  I think they have now been to 12 different schools!  They are never in a school long enough for anyone to get to know their situation and work with them. I poured so much into them, especially the 3rd grade boy.  When his new school called for his records the first week of school I volunteered to hand deliver.  I spoke to the school about him and then got to see him!! Another tearful moment!  He was soo excited to see me and gave me the biggest hug!  I think of those two often. 

I could easily take home several of the kids that have crossed my path over the last few years.  One of the most important lessons I learned during student teaching is that you have to leave it all at work.  I can only control what happens during the 8 hours they are in school...I can not change anything in their home environment, I just have to make those 8 hours an escape and a place of comfort.  I work very hard to separate my personal and work life.  Always a challenge, but prayer and wine help! ;)

Speaking of...looking forward to spending an evening out with Miss Katie tonight.  I normally pass out by 8 on Friday nights, but this week has been soo great! I somehow still have lots of energy! God has just pointed out so many blessings to me this week and revealed that this is in fact where I need to be.  He has control...I just need to let Him take it!

Ok...gotta stop...I'm getting teary-eyed!


I hope everyone has a blessed week!

*Names changed for confidentiality

No comments:

Post a Comment